Quanah and Medicine Mound, Texas
Quanah, Texas was organized in 1884 as a stop on what was then the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. The city was named for Quanah Parker, the last principal chief of the Comanche Nation. (Wikipedia)
Medicine Mound, on Farm Road 1167 twelve miles east of Quanah in east central Hardeman County, took its name from four local elevations, 200 to 250 feet high: these mounds were camps and ceremonial sites of the Comanches. The community moved 2½ miles north in 1908, when the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway was built. At one time Medicine Mound had a population of 500 and twenty-two businesses, including a newspaper (the Citizen). A fire in 1932 destroyed most of the business buildings, and few were rebuilt. In 1940 the town had six stores and 210 people. Its school was consolidated with that of Quanah in 1955, and the post office and gin shut down in the 1950s. (Texas State Historical Association)